About the Netgear Routers(www.routerlogin.net)
Netgear Company is one of the most popular Companies that develop networking devices. The routers, extenders, modems, and cameras are popular devices manufactured by the Company. Here, we will discuss some of the best features of Netgear routers and also some of the advanced settings of the router. We will discuss the Netgear WNDR3800 router. This is a dual band router supporting both 2.4 GHz band and 5 GHz band. It is comprehensive and robust for its users. Netgear Genie has both the desktop version and the browser interface of the router. It provides excellent range all over the house and a throughput speed on 5 GHz band. The 2.4 GHz band still require some improvement to provide a stable and fast speed. It is also very easy to manage the router through its web interface that a user can open via www.routerlogin.net.
Netgear WNDR3800 router provides high-speed Internet that is optimal for HD video streaming and also for playing online games. It is a dual-band Gigabit Ethernet router having one WAN port and four LAN ports. All these ports are located on the back of the router. You will also find one USB port and an on/off button on the back. The USB port is used to share information through USB storage devices and also used to attach a printer.
The LED lights, WPS button, and wireless on/off button are located on the front of the router. WPS button is used to instantly connect wireless devices to the router. And through on/off button, you can easily on or off the wireless network of the router. The LED lights help to know the status of the router that is if the router is working properly or not. You can check the internet status of the router that is either it is working properly or not by going into the browser interface of the router via www.routerlogin.net. You can also view from this window, the number of devices connected to your network.
Features of Netgear WNDR3800 are given below, have a look.
- Ready SHARE printer: Attach your printer to the USB port on the back of the router and access it wirelessly.
- Ready SHARE USB: You can access and share files with the storage devices connected externally to the USB port of the router. These files can also be accessed remotely via the internet by remote users.
- Video Mode: You can set up a separate video network for the devices on which you are streaming videos. This will prevent packet drops. A 5 GHz network has to be established for this purpose.
- Clear Channel Selector: The name of the feature itself describes that it automatically finds a channel or path with less or no disturbance to reach the client device. As most of the time, the network gets interference by the objects and other wireless networks situated in the neighbourhood.
- TiVo Support: It is a digital video recorder. When it is connected to a home network, it allows you to access media files. You can also download and access TV shows and movies.
- Guest network: You can setup a separate network for your visitors. They are not able to access your network without your acknowledgement and the main network is not accessible to them. This is the best way to provide the internet access to your guest without interrupting the main router’s network. That will remain fix for your home members.
- Parental controls: This is a well known feature of Netgear routers. By this feature, a parent can control the access time of gaming websites, social websites etc for their children and keep them safe. You can also block malicious websites that may harm your computer.
- Network map: By this feature, a user is able to look how many devices are connected to the network. You can also check for how many hours a particular user was connected to your network. Check the IP address of the computer system that is connected to your network.
Unpack your router
Your router box has the following things when you open it:
- A Power Adapter Cord
- An Ethernet cable
- N600 wireless router
- Slide on router stand
- A user guide
Check the content in the box, if you found any of these missing then contact the retailer from whom you have purchased the router.
What to do before installing your router?
- You will find a protective film on top of your router. Remove it carefully.
- Make the router stand on the slide on router stand. Find an arrow at the back of the router and place it accordingly so that it gets fit into the stand.
- Place your router at a suitable place or nearby a power outlet.
The Setup of Netgear WNDR3800
The easiest method to set up the router is through Netgear Genie. Netgear Genie can automatically perform the set up process. Or you can also perform if you want through the menus and screens of the Netgear Genie. You need the ISP information for the setup. So, make sure you have all the details in your hand. It hardly takes 15 to 17 minutes to complete the setup for the Netgear WNDR3800.
Follow the steps given below to set up your router:
- Enable the on/off button to make your router turn on.
- Please ensure that your devices are connected to the wireless router.
- Open a web browser. If you have operated the Netgear genie before then type www.routerlogin.net in the address bar of the browser you have opened. The Netgear Genie screen pops up in front of you. But if you are new and set up the router for the first time then the Genie screen automatically opens up and starts performing the setup.
- After the opening of the Genie screen, you have to follow on-screen instructions. It asks you some things to confirm and all other things are done by the Genie itself.
Front and Back Panel of the Netgear router
Sometimes user got confused in the structure of the Netgear router. All the LED light, which light colour, indicates what. These are some of the confusions while looking at the Netgear router. When you unpack the router and have to start installation then the understanding of the LED lights and all other buttons on Netgear router matters. Even, if you know about the meaning of all the LED lights, you can solve a big issue encountered while the installation.
The front panel of the Netgear router has the following symbols.
- This symbol indicates the power.
|Green||The router is ready to operate and turned on.|
|Amber||The test is being conducted to ensure that the Netgear router is working properly.|
|Green and blinking fast||Software updation is going on.|
|Green and blinking slow||The software of the router is not working properly.|
|Off||The router is switched off at this time.|
This symbol indicates the internet icon.
|Amber||Internet address is not given to the router but the Ethernet cable is attached.|
|Green Solid||Router got an Internet address.|
|Green Blinking||Data is being broadcasted with the internet.|
This symbol indicates wireless icon.
|On||It denotes that the wireless port is facilitated.|
|Off||It denotes that the wireless port is disabled.|
|Blinking||Data is being transmitted or received.|
(1, 2, 3, 4) These numbers indicate LAN ports status.
|Solid Green||The connection is between a local port and 1000 Mbps device.|
|Blinking green||Data is being passed on at 1000 Mbps.|
|Solid Amber||The local port has find a link with a 10/100 Mbps device.|
|Blinking Amber||Data is being passed on at 10/100 Mbps.|
|Off||Nothing is identified on this particular port.|
The back panel of the Netgear router has the following symbols.
- Factory default reset button: This is a small hole used to hard reset the Netgear router. After performing this, all the settings have default values.
- Four Local Ethernet ports: These ports are used to connect computers with the router. A wired connection between the device and router is being established.
- Internet port: This port is used to connect modem to the router.
- Power adapter port: This port is used to connect the power adapter and to supply power to the router.
Set up and Test Basic Wireless Connectivity
Follow the steps given below to set up and test basic wireless connectivity.
- Launch an Internet browser and type net in the address bar. Enter the default username and default password if you have not changed yet.
- You will get land into the configuration panel of the website. In the main menu, you will see wireless settings option. Click on it. Check the default SSID.
- Select and set the region where you want to operate the wireless router.
- Save the settings that you have made by clicking on the Apply button. Test the wireless connectivity.
Logging to the router
To log in to your router, follow the steps given below:
- Open the configuration manager page by typing www.routerlogin.net in the address bar of your browser window. Or you can type the default IP address of the router that is 192.168.1.1. Hit Enter key.
- A login window appears having two fields that are username and password. Enter the default username as admin and password as password if you have not changed it. Otherwise, enter your password.
- Uncheck the button that says check for updated firmware upon log in. And press login button.
- The home page of the Netgear router displays in front of you. You can now configure your router.
How to change the administrative password of your Netgear router?
It is recommended to change the default password to a more secure password. Anyone can access your router if you will not change the default one. The default password can be found out easily as it is available on the internet.
- Open the web interface by typing routerlogin.net or directly routerlogin.net in the address bar and entering the login details of the router.
- Go to Maintenance tab. Select set password to open the window where you can change the password.
- Enter the old password or the default one in the old password field. Enter the new password in the new password field and confirm the same in the given confirm password field.
- Click on Apply button.
The password has been changed successfully.
Use Ping Utility for Advanced Troubleshooting
Every device has a ping utility that makes the troubleshooting easy. It sends request for the diagnosis to the target computer and then a reply comes from the target computer.
Test the path from PC to router
- Go to start located in the taskbar or at the bottom left corner of your computer screen. Click on Run.
- In the run field provided, enter the ping followed by the default IP address of the Netgear router or you can also write default web address.
- Click on the OK button. You will get a message on the screen. If the path is working, you will receive a positive message otherwise a negative one. This can be understandable by just reading the messages.
The function of the path is not working properly because of the following issues.
- LAN port status light is not lit. This indicates that the physical connection is wrong. Also, make sure that the lights are on for the network interface card of your computer.
- Check that both the software that is Ethernet card driver and TCP/IP are properly configured and installed. Also check the IP address of your router and computer. Both will begin with 192.168.1. If you do not know how to check the IP address, feel free to contact us.
Test the path from a computer to the internet
After verifying the above mentioned path, you can go further to check this path. Same is the procedure, go to start and then open the run window. Type –n 10 <IP address>. The IP address here is the IP address of your DNS server.
You will receive a positive message or negative. If you get a negative one then check the following points.
- The IP address of the router is mentioned in the DHCP list of the router. And the router is also there as a default gateway.
- The network address of the remote device and your computer must be different.
- The account name must be the host name provided by your Internet Service Provider.
How to configure the router to use Internet Service?
Follow the steps mentioned here:
- Connect your router. Open a web browser like Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, Internet Explorer or Netscape Navigator. The assistant page of Netgear smart wizard configuration opens automatically. You can have the problem of your router not connected, to solve this check the network settings of your computer. The DNS address and the IP address is obtained automatically by the router. If the router not doing so, read out the documentation that comes with the computer.
- Click on next button. To configure the router so that it can access the internet, the wizard guides you. If you want to configure the router manually, select the No radio button. Enter the default username as admin and default password as password and on the settings page enter the details required.
- Click on finish button to complete.
You are now connected to the internet.
Observing performance, placement and range
The range or coverage area by your router depends on the area where the wireless firewall is placed. The power consumed by the wireless adapters, data throughput performance and inactivity depends on the configurations.
If you want that your router give best performance then place your firewall according to these guidelines:
- In the centre of the area where device are operating.
- You can also place it at some height because of the line of sight. At this height, it can be easily accessible by the devices.
- Do not place in the area of some disturbance by the devices such as microwaves or cordless phones.
- Place it away from metal objects.
The time taken to make a wireless connection depends on the security settings and placement. The WEP security takes more time than the devices with other security settings.
Some problems can arrive while you are in the mid of the setup. Try the below mentioned troubleshooting tips to resolve those issues.
- If you are unable to see the web page, try these tips.
- Check the connection of your computer to the router. The Computer must be connected to one of the LAN ports of the router.
- Check the Power LED of the router to ensure that it is turned on.
- Check any update or cache of the browser. Sometimes these things can also responsible for not opening the web page.
- Make sure that your computer has set to DHCP so that it can automatically retrieve the IP address from the router.
If you are still not able to open or solve the issues regarding web page opening of www.routerlogin.net to access the admin panel of the router, contact us via our live chat window where experts are online 24/7 to provide a solution to all your problems. We solve issues like www.routerlogin.net login issue, Netgear router setup issue, issue in opening the IP address 22.214.171.124 login etc.